Monday, December 3, 2012

Introvert Survivel: How I Survive in an Insanely Extroverted Family.

Being the only introvert in an all extroverted family, it can be hard sometimes to find space, or quiet, especially when my younger brother and dad have Nerf gun wars, your older sister is playing piano, or when your mom is singing in the kitchen. It’s also especially hard to focus on school work when all these things are happening simultaneously. The good thing about it is I have learned to block everyone out so I can focus, which is especially
helpful in classroom study settings, where people are talking. The bad part about that is, I sometimes don't here my mom calling...okay, let me rephrase that. I usually don't here her calling, or my little brother trying to get my attention, even though he is yelling in my ear ...whoops.  But despite all that,  I usually find time to myself, walking alone on our trails, listening to the radio up in my room, or reading. It also really hard sharing a room with someone who is the exact opposite of you. For example: I'm introverted, she's extroverted. My side of the room is fairly (you might say a bit messy) organized (basically, I know where most stuff is) and Hannah likes her's spotless, where as I don't really care. I love games, she doesn't. She loves to cook (especially experimenting) I don't LOVE baking...I like it. Okay...so you get the point. We were driving each other crazy for a while, when mom came up with the idea that we should split the room in half and each one get's one side. That worked out a lot better. Thankfully, I have a somewhat understanding family, who knows when I need space, and will leave me alone when I need my "alone time." But despite all our differences, I love my loud, crazy, playful  family, and wouldn't trade them for anything.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post title. :) I'm glad God is giving you grace to put up with the differences between you and the rest of your family. I bet you'll find more and more similarities as you get older, as well. I'm sure at least the most important things are the same. But it's a blessing that God gives us families with different interests and personalities so that we can learn to get along with people and enjoy His creativity in creating such different people - even ones who share the same parents!

    ReplyDelete