Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas tree memories

  Hi there everyone! Here are some of my favorite Christmas tree memories:
One year, we picked out a really CROOKED Christmas tree. When we got it home, it wouldn’t stay upright. My dad rigged up a thing where he attached the top of the Christmas tree to a string, and then the string to the wall. =)
We used to put up candy canes on our tree…but the tradition sort-of stopped for a while.  It turned out my little sugar loving  brother (about four then) had been taking them off, licking them, then sticking them back on.
Another time we got a pretty nice tree…until mom decided the bottom of it was “uneven.” It was kind-of a vicious cycle. She would cut off one branch and say “hmm…now this one is uneven.” Then cut off another and say, “now this one is uneven.” When I came out of my room and walked past, about a third of the tree was gone (I’m not exaggerating! Ask my dad!) It looked absolutely awful. We had a pretty ugly tree that year!=)
Another time, the star for the top of tree broke. Mom went out and bought this angelic sort-of girly angel.  My dad came home and was not very happy. He doesn’t like angels on top of the Christmas tree, I guess because apparently he had this “awful, hideous angel growing up.” (I just leaned this!) Mom said it looked kind of like a “goofy sort-of joker in a kings court with wings.”  Anyway, after that, we haven’t bought another angel. Besides they aren’t very realistic. They don’t say “Don’t be afraid” for no reason!
One year after Christmas, mom decided the best way to get rid of the Christmas tree was to “throw it over the deck, over the hill and into the woods/ brush beside our house. Except…it didn’t go that far. It stopped in our yard…then sat there for about a month until my dad told my brother to drag it over to the brush pile.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie, this is hilarious. Made me laugh..a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is awesome! Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the memories! You are a great story-teller! And I completely agree with your thoughts about angels. They're part of an army, not girly figures with fluffy wings!

    ReplyDelete