Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hi there!
 I decided to write about what I learned in photography class this week. (I'll see if I can get it right!)
This week I learned about aperture (depth of field) and shutter speed (how fast the camara takes the picture).

We started out experimenting with the different shutter speeds. We found it worked out better to use a faster shutter speed when we were holding the camera in the daytime,( because we couldn't hold the camara completely still) and to use the slower shuttter speed at night, when taking pictures of fireworks, flashlights etc.(basically things with light.) It looked really cool with a slower shutter speed because it blurred the lights together,  Also, we needed to use as a tripod when taking pictures at night. We did one experiment with the camera where one person waved a flashlight that turned on at the camara. The second person turned their shutter speed to 10 seconds and took a picture. The flashlight in the picture looked like blurred, curling streams of light. It was really cool. After that we tried writing different word with light... though it didn't work very well=)

Next, we played around with the aperture. When you have a smaller aperture, the depth of field is shorter, and when you have a larger one you get a wider depth of field. So this meant when my depth of field was shorter, the object I was taking the picture of was focused, but my background was blurred. Also, when it was larger, everything in the photo was focused. It was really fun to experiment--especially with friends!

2 comments:

  1. Good explanation . . . I was wondering what you all had been learning! Love the background btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds really neat! I wish I knew more about photography.

    And I agree with Mary Frances - love the jelly belly background!

    ReplyDelete