Monday, January 21, 2013

Vacation

Hi! Yes, We're back from vacation (okay, not really vacation because we had to do school....=( )  Finally. For those of you who don't know, we've been in Arizona for a couple of weeks. We stayed in a 900 square foot house, and by the end of the time, I was getting pretty homesick. I slept on the couch, my sister, on the floor on a mattress, and my brother on a air mattress. It was pretty tight! It felt like we were living on top of each other... But during the end of the trip, I began to realize how blessed we were to even have a place to stay. While we were traveling, we saw lots of people who lived in makeshift homes that looked like something we could have built in a day. We also saw people, pushing shopping carts full of their only possessions. It was really sad, and I began to realize how much I take for granted. Food, cloths, a roof over our heads. I go by every day, not even thinking about how blessed I am, I feel  entitled to it. I guess it was different not just hearing how we are blessed, but seeing it first hand, and what other people go through to survive. Another thing that was different about living there was there were lots of Spanish speaking people (most likely because we were 60 miles from the boarder) and Spanish stores/restaurants. One grocery store we went in had lots of Mexican items (tortillas, fried things rice etc...) and the signs were almost all in Spanish. Hannah and I were trying to decipher the signs, but due to only one year of Spanish, and one year of forgetting half of it, we never figured them out.=) My favorite part of the trip was either hiking, or going horseback riding on some trails...it was really cool! Anyway, the trip was interesting...and fun. The desert was...well, very desolate and cactusey (is that even a word???)  and I don't think I would want to live there. I'm more of a home body! I'm so blessed to live where we are, and to have so many great friends. =)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're home, Nat!! Thanks for that awesome reminder. I had much the same experience in Mexico:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo glad you're home!! Sounds like it was a really cool trip. It's so easy to take things for granted. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that reminder...it is hard to be thanful for what we do have...I will definitaly post pics on my blog of China!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad to have you back! What made your family want to go to Arizona this year? I can identify with loving just being back at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Mann, I'll answer for Natalie!!! :) We went because my dad had work there, and didn't want to be separated from us for a month! I think by the end, though, everyone was ready to be separated from everyone else! Even though my family is a blessing, we definitely had some less-than-loving moments! :)

      Delete