Monday, February 11, 2013

A post just to make you laugh!=)

I am not very experienced in the kitchen, quite the opposite to my sister. I don't think it's one of my gifting’s, I enjoy it in all, but I don't have a sense of what goes together. For example, about two years ago, I was making pizza dough crust, and I knew sometimes Hannah put in a few spices. (such as garlic) So I, being oblivious to what spices work together, in all my knowledge (which is equivalent to 0%)  put in curry powder, and cumin into the pizza crust. Hmm...not the best combination, but it ended up not tasting different, because I (thankfully)didn't put enough in. I do bake, and cook, but Hannah is usually the one in experimenting in the kitchen. Here are some of my "Kitchen Horror stories" (okay, they aren't exactly horror stories. They were mess-ups...big time!=) I hope they make you laugh!=)

One of my first cooking disasters was when I was about ten. I was baking chocolate chip cookies for Sunday school, and must not have followed the recipe very closely (imagine that!=) I think I might have left a stick of butter, and added more salt than was needed. (I didn't exactly like measuring, and that hasn’t really changed) When they came out of the oven, they were dry, crumbly, and salty. Not the best combination!

Another time,  my mom asked me to bake a snack for writing class. I was so excited (Hannah usually does most of the baking) I took out a  brownie mix (love those!) and began. Mom had asked me to substitute out some of the oil for applesauce. I ended up thinking she meant ALL of it. When they came out of the oven, they looked fine, but when we tried to cut then...well...they were hard and rubbery. I guess all applesauce instead of oil doesn’t work to well with brownies. You could literally pick up the entire slab of brownie  and hold it up in the air, and it wouldn't fall apart. Pure rubberyness. (is that a word?) I think we ended up having Chex mix for snack!

Hannah and I sometimes back together. Now you should understand something about this situation. We don't work well in the kitchen together. Hannah likes having control of everything thats going on, and so do I. I like randomly measuring, and so does she. But she doesn’t like me doing that. I don't blame her. I don't exactly have a perfect track record, and besides, she likes control. I don't mind her randomly measuring as much, because she knows more about what she's doing.  But baking in the kitchen together usually ends up in an argument. I get mad at her because she won't let me do anything, and when I convince her to let me, she stands constant gaurd over me. You get the picture.
  But sometimes, we get along great (I guess it works better if we let go of control) We were baking a snack for Hannah's Sunday school class. (she teaches 3rd graders.) Hannah decided on red velvet cake...but wanted to mix it up. She thought it would be cool to change the color, and I agreed.
"We should do green!" I said, and she agreed. But we added to much food coloring, and it ended up looking like puke. It was really gross looking! I can understand why people don't make green velvet cake!
 Well, I hope I've make you laugh, or at least chuckle!

3 comments:

  1. :) :) OH....I have so many cooking mess up stories too!!!!!!! I love your perspective, Nat. Sometime we should just get together and bake the craziest things, not really caring about how they turn out. I'd be excellent at that, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Love the last story~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had many cooking disasters, though thankfully not many recently! As they say, practice makes perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete